Short Term – Crisis (may or may not happen in Australia): power cuts,
water interruptions / quality problems, gas failures, no security, no
cash available, supermarkets quickly empty, employers forced to stand
down workers temporarily.
– Obtain food – dumpster diving for whatever is left? Markets? Black market?
– Keep food: ice boxes, Coolgardie safes, long lasting fridges (e.g.
using eutectic (phase change) materials to store cool air), chest freezers
with extra insulation. Possibly use generators (fuel will be cheap, if
people have any income for it)
– Heat water and food for cooking / sterilisation (Gas will probably be
available sporadically) – rocket stove (what would be burned? Houses?),
BBQ (must be made more efficient e.g. shorter burners, shrouding?).
– Space heating for the elderly – share space with younger people? Dual
purpose rocket stoves?
– Lighting for safety / night time ablutions / emergencies – head
torches and powerful hand torches, ideally with rechargeable batteries
– Communications – smart phones, radios. Would need power source for the
phones, e.g. small solar panels can be bought, or rechargeable battery
packs made up; or just charge opportunistically and use occasionally.
Communications will be important for people’s sanity; to know their
loved ones are OK, to know they have a connection to the outside world.
Dumb phones more reliable / longer batteries, but less able to be used
for information sharing…
– Sanitation – some areas might not have reliable water for flushing or
reliable sewer connections, so composting toilets?
– First aid – hospitals probably full but might still be able to get to
doctors; need basic knowledge. Link to existing sites on web?
Also need to consider adapting household utensils for wound care etc.